RFR: 8041506 - The test gc/g1/TestHumongousShrinkHeap.java reports that memory is not de-committed

Dmitry Fazunenko dmitry.fazunenko at oracle.com
Mon May 26 15:32:43 UTC 2014

Hi Andrey,

Sorry, it took too long from me to review you change.
I have several comments:
- overall fix looks good
- I think you need to change the subject: you fix 8041946, not 8041506
- Replace 'TestHumongousShrinkHeap' with 'TestShrinkDefragmentedHeap'
- Make MemoryUsagePrinter as static inner class of test (to avoid
possible conflicts with other tests)
- It would be good if you provide more text description to the test, like
   * allocate small objects mixed with humongous ones
       "ssssHssssHssssHssssHssssH"
   * release all allocated object except the last humongous one
       ".............................................H"
   * invoke gc and check that  memory returned to the system (amount of
committed memory got down)
- I'm not sure that you can predict the expected amount of committed
memory at the end... I wouldn't use the expectedCommitted in the test
(there are many memory consumers, not only your test, so the final
committed should be either less or greater than expectedCommitted )
- I think you don't need to touch  'test/TEST.groups'. There is
:needs_g1gc tests group (hs/test/closed/TEST.group) which lists all g1
specific tests.
- Please provide information on how you tested your change.

Thanks,
Dima