[RFR] 8064716: TestHumongousShrinkHeap.java can not be run with -XX:+ExplicitGCInvokesConcurrent

Bengt Rutisson bengt.rutisson at oracle.com
Fri Nov 14 08:46:59 UTC 2014

On 2014-11-13 19:17, Jesper Wilhelmsson wrote:
> That depends.. Will this work for all cases where
> -XX:+ExplicitGCInvokesConcurrent is added to the command line from
> different frameworks etc?

Jesper, the command line flags specified in the @run tag are *appened*
to whatever the framework passes in. So, with Andrey's change the
-XX:-ExplicitGCInvokesConcurrent in the @run tag will always override
any -XX:+ExplicitGCInvokesConcurrent passed in from the framework. Note
that this is a "normal" hotspot flag (not specially treated like the GC
selection flags) so there is not conflict in specifying the same flag
multiple times on the command line. The rule "last one wins" applies.

Andrey, the changes look good.

One minor thing is that I would prefer the @run tag in
TestHumongousShrinkHeap.java to be a single line. I think it is a bit
hard to read when the @run tag gets split up over multiple lines:

   30  * @run main/othervm -XX:-ExplicitGCInvokesConcurrent
-XX:MinHeapFreeRatio=10
   31  * -XX:MaxHeapFreeRatio=12 -XX:+UseG1GC -XX:G1HeapRegionSize=1M
-verbose:gc
   32  * TestHumongousShrinkHeap

Then a general question. We need this change because we some days rotate
in -XX:+ExplicitGCInvokesConcurrent in our nightly testing. Is that
really a good idea? (I'm sure it was requested from the GC team at some
point, but maybe it is time to re-evaluate that decision.) A different
way of handling these failures would be to stop rotating in that flag in
our testing. I am not sure it really improves our quality and apparently
it causes issues. Maybe we should just add a few tests that explicitly
test with -XX:+ExplicitGCInvokesConcurrent?

Thanks,
Bengt