rounding error in logs

Thomas Schatzl thomas.schatzl at oracle.com
Fri Sep 12 07:23:59 UTC 2014

Hi,

On Fri, 2014-09-12 at 00:12 +0200, Kirk Pepperdine wrote:
> Hi Thomas,
>
> Thanks for this. I don’t see CR JDK-8058221 showing up so it’s difficult to comment. What you’ve mentioned is ok but I think it would be nice is the logs used the same formatting string.
>
> BTW, my comment on reporting in bytes still stands.. it would eliminate the need for any formatting! Just print longs ;-)

the bug is publicly available so I do not know why it is not accessible
for you.

Here's the description:

"In the gc, heap sizes are typically rounded to some (rather abritrary)
k/M/G values for better human consumption.

This introduces subtle rounding problems when calculating values from it
(like number of promoted bytes being negative for no reason)

Add an option to allow the size format output to always be written in
bytes.

This feature may also be automatically enabled by other options like
G1LogLevel=finest. "