Ways to get gc stats programatically or logged?

Bernd Eckenfels ecki at zusammenkunft.net
Tue Sep 23 23:19:22 UTC 2014

Hello,

not sure how much automation you need and how much time you want to
spend. But the open source GCViewer can parse and graph GClogs. It can
also be used as a parser or to export it in CSV format. It is however
not very complete with G1 events.

https://github.com/chewiebug/GCViewer/wiki

From inside the VM you can always sample the JMX MBeans provided by
hotspot. Each pool can have a before/after statistic. But its not so
fine grained than verbose GC logs are. And unfortunatelly you need to
sample it as there are no notifications.

The third option is I guess the flight recorder. As you are insise
Oracle it should not be a too big of a problem. I however dont know how
complete the events are.

Gruss
Bernd