RFR: 8030646: Track collection set membership in one place

Thomas Schatzl thomas.schatzl at oracle.com
Mon Feb 2 10:51:30 UTC 2015

Hi Kim,

> Coming in late:
>
> In the comments for JDK-8027959
> Early reclamation of large objects in G1
>
> Thomas said:

> > Putting the humongous objects (even temporarily) into the collection
> > set gives issues with remembered set updates not occurring any more.
> >
> > Current prototype changes in_cset_fast_test to include humongous
> > objects (
>
> There are no issues with remembered set updates when temporarily
> putting the humongous object into the _in_cset_fast_test collection
> set test because during rset update we use the _in_collection_set
> member of the heapregion, not the in_cset_fast_test.

This mentions an older version of the change, that has not even been out
for review.
As the date of the original comment suggests, we had a prototype running
for months before the review.

If you look in the update rs closure
(G1UpdateRSOrPushRefOopClosure::do_oop_work()), it uses
"to->in_collection_set()" in the condition to either remember the
reference for a possible evacuation failure, or adding the reference to
the correct remembered set.
*If* we really temporarily added humongous into the cset, this would be
a problem.

However the current implementation is correct, because the humongous
objects are never even added temporarily to the collection set as stated
in that comment. They have their own value (-1) in the
in_cset_fast_table.

As long as the new code uses only G1CollectedHeap::is_in_cset() instead
of G1Collectedheap::is_in_cset_or_humongous(), it is fine.

Sorry for the misleading comment, I will add another one about the
current implementation. It was more a very late answer about the to the
previous one (that predates the recent one by four months, i.e.
differnet implementation).