RFR (S): 8073466: Remove buffer retaining functionality and clean up in ParGCAllocBuffer

Jon Masamitsu jon.masamitsu at oracle.com
Sat Feb 28 00:26:21 UTC 2015

Thomas,

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~tschatzl/8073466/webrev.1/src/share/vm/gc_implementation/shared/parGCAllocBuffer.cpp.frames.html

Could you add a comment here that the stats are being "flushed".
Something like

// Flush the statistics.
>   67   stats->add_allocated(_allocated);
>    68   // Retire() counts the unused space as wasted. So we need to remove it again
>    69   // before updating the statistics.
>    70   stats->add_wasted(_wasted - unused);

In a context where the unused space at the end of a buffer might be used
later (as when there was the "retaining functionality"),  I can see that
you might want to differentiate between _wasted and unused.    Since there
is no longer a "retain", it seems all to be just waste.   So
I don't see the use of passing "_wasted - unused" as opposed to just
"_wasted".

If you would like to keep the differentiation between "_wasted - used"
and "_wasted", consider adding back the "end_of_gc" flag to
retire() and moving

>   127     _wasted += pointer_delta(_end, _top);  // unused  space

out of invalidate() and into retire() in this fashion

if (!end_of_gc) {
   _wasted += pointer_delta(_end, _top);  // unused  space
}

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~tschatzl/8073466/webrev.1/src/share/vm/gc_implementation/shared/parGCAllocBuffer.hpp.frames.html

Throwaway suggestion (your call, since not in your change)

Fix the indentation on the fields

>    39   char head[32];
>    40   size_t _word_sz;          // In HeapWord units

>    48   char tail[32];

Jon