RFR (L): 8024319: Add regression tests on documented GC-related -XX:+Print* options

Dmitry Fazunenko dmitry.fazunenko at oracle.com
Thu Jan 22 11:42:49 UTC 2015

Hi Bengt!

Thanks for looking at the tests and sharing your thoughts!

Yes, it was considered to use ProcessTool but we decided to introduce
AbstractPringGCTest class.
Our thoughts:
- log generation and log analysis are two different tasks, and they
should logically separated:
     * starting GCTask with various options  (one line @run main/othervm
... GCTask)
     * log analysis (the java code within sources)
   this increases readability
- it's possible to provide several checkers for the same log
     @run main/othervm ... GCTask
     @run main TestCheck1
     @run main TestCheck2
     @run main TestCheck3
   or provide the same check for several logs (not currently implemented)
     @run main/othervm ... -loggc:log1 GCTask
     @run main/othervm ... -loggc:log2 GCTask
     @run main/othervm ... -loggc:log3 GCTask
     @run main TestCheck log1 log2 log3

- writing log to a dedicated file will guarantee, that program output
and the GC log will not be mixed up.
   (not valid argument for that particular case, bun in general that's true)

- using @run main/othervm will allow to *not ignore* external options
(jtreg -vmoptions:...), that makes such tests applicable for wider range
of configurations and check, that for example -Xcomp doesn't turn off
PrintGCDetails...

Regarding AbstractPringGCTes: it doesn't duplicate any functionality, it
just reads content of a text file.

Regarding ProcessTools. Yes, it's possible to develop tests with this
library. This library itself is very good and powerful. But I personally
would not recommend using it for test development because it duplicates
harness functionality. Unfortunately, jtreg currently doesn't provide
all functionality required for VM testing and we have to use
ProcessTools as workaround.
And people already got used to ProcessTools and like this style. But in
long term, there will be the same problem with support of such tests, as
we experience now with tests written in shell. Indeed, using
ProcessTools is like using java for shell scripting.

Returning to Denis' tests. They intentionally do not use ProcessTools.
They could be used as example demonstrating an alternative approach.

Thanks,
Dima