TenuringThreshold being adaptive when UseAdaptiveSizePolicy is off

Kirk Pepperdine kirk at kodewerk.com
Tue Mar 10 07:01:37 UTC 2015

Hi Jon,

Slightly off topic.

This question triggered me to once again take a closer look at psAdaptiveSizePolicy and CMSAdaptiveSizePolicy. What I saw is that

uint PSAdaptiveSizePolicy::compute_survivor_space_size_and_threshold(
                                             bool is_survivor_overflow,
                                             uint tenuring_threshold,
                                             size_t survivor_limit) {

and

uint CMSAdaptiveSizePolicy::compute_survivor_space_size_and_threshold(
                                             bool is_survivor_overflow,
                                             uint tenuring_threshold,
                                             size_t survivor_limit) {

are cut and paste copies of each other. In fact the amount of common code in both classes suggests they were a complete cut and paste copy of each other. Yes there are a couple of minor differences but not enough to warrant two separate classes. It’s also a bit scary to see this level of cut and paste in the JVM source code. Maybe it was intentional, if so it should have been justified with a comment but … I’ll say no more on this topic.

As I’ve mentioned before, AdaptiveSize can get into this degenerative pathological condition in low free heap conditions. It starts with higher GC frequencies slowing the allocation rates from the mutator threads. These lower allocation rates when feed back into adaptive sizing, are a signal to shrink the size of heap which is exactly the opposite of what you’d like to see in this condition. I have offered to work on a patch to fix this but I’ve been told by several people that they have a patch to correct this behavior so no need to do so.

My question is, can we get one of these patches released so that we can correct this behavior?

Kind regards,
Kirk