RFR(M): JDK-8059036 : Implement Diagnostic Commands for heap and finalizerinfo

Derek White derek.white at oracle.com
Wed May 6 21:51:42 UTC 2015

Hi Dmitry, Staffan,

Lots of good comments here.

On the topic of what list should be printed out, I think we should focus
on objects waiting to be finalized - e.g. the contents of the
ReferenceQueue. It's more of a pain to walk the ReferenceQueue, but you
could add a summerizeQueue(TreeMap<String, Integer>) method, or a
general iterator and lambda.

A histogram of objects with finalize methods might also be interesting,
but you can get most of the same information from a heap histogram
(ClassHistogramDCmd, and search for count of Finalizer instances).

BTW, by only locking the ReferenceQueue, we should only be blocking the
FinalizerThread from making progress (and I think there's a GC thread
that runs after GC that sorts found References objects that need
processing into their respective ReferenceQueues). But locking the
"unfinalized" list blocks initializing any object with a finalize() method.

The sorting suggestion is a nice touch.

  - Derek White, GC team