RFR: 8079315: UseCondCardMark broken in conjunction with CMS precleaning

Erik Österlund erik.osterlund at lnu.se
Tue May 12 17:23:26 UTC 2015

Hi Mikael and Andrew,

Unless I missed something, I don’t think we introduce that much code complexity.
Of course I agree that G1 will make fixes in CMS a bit wasted in the long run.
However, until then it would be good if CMS still works. And a few lines shared code (handful for the actual GC) seems, to me, both less painful from an engineering point of view and better performant than going through all mutator code paths that need changing (interpreter, c1, c2, for potentially many architectures).

Out of curiosity I patched the thing and my fix can be found here: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~eosterlund/8079315/webrev.v1/

Fortunately it looks like CMS is already batching cards pretty well for me so the change turned out to be very small. I logged to see how often this global fence is triggered and it’s very rare so I feel quite convinced it won’t impact performance negatively even on “that guy’s” machine and with a terrible OS implementation.

I benchmarked it using DaCapo benchmarks locally on my computer (macbook x86_64 BSD) and there were no traces of any performance artefacts/regression.

If anyone happens to have a larger machine than my macbook, it would be interesting to take it for a spin. ;)

Disclaimer: I haven’t poked around a lot in CMS in the past, so I hope I didn’t miss any important card value transitions!

Thanks,
/Erik