RFR(M,v7): JDK-8059036 : Implement Diagnostic Commands for heap and finalizerinfo

Peter Levart peter.levart at gmail.com
Wed May 20 08:22:28 UTC 2015

On 05/20/2015 08:51 AM, Dmitry Samersoff wrote:
> Mandy,
>
>> However I have trouble for
>> Finalizer.printFinalizationQueue method that doesn’t belong there.
>> What are the other alternatives you have explored?
> Other alternatives could be to do all hashing/sorting/printing on native
> layer i.e. implement printFinalizationQueue inside VM.
>
> Both options has pros and cons - Java based solution requires less JNI
> calls and better readable but takes more memory.
>
> It might be better to return an array of Map.Entry<String, int[]>
> objects to VM rather than one huge string.
>
> -Dmitry

Hi Dmitry,

What about creating a special package-private
java.lang.ref.DiagnosticCommands class which is then used as the home of
static printFinalizationQueue method (and possible future diagnostic
commands methods in the package). You could then expose a static
package-private method from Finalizer:

static void forEachEnqueued(Consumer<? super Reference<?>> action) {
     queue.forEach(action);
}

...and use it to implement the printFinalizationQueue.

Regards, Peter