RFR(M,v7): JDK-8059036 : Implement Diagnostic Commands for heap and finalizerinfo

Dmitry Samersoff dmitry.samersoff at oracle.com
Wed May 20 08:42:04 UTC 2015

Peter,

> What about creating a special package-private
> java.lang.ref.DiagnosticCommands class

I'm not quite happy with current printFinalizationQueue method - love to
have a way to print directly to DCMD pipe from Java rather than return a
huge string to VM.

But lang.ref.Finalizer is cached by VM (see
SystemDictionary::Finalizer_klass()) and is known as special
i.e. check-when-modify-hotspot class.

We don't plan to expand this DCMD so I'm reluctant to create a separate
class for one simple static method - it adds extra cost of
compiling/loading/care.

-Dmitry

--
Dmitry Samersoff
Oracle Java development team, Saint Petersburg, Russia