RFR: 8080879: Remove AbstractGangTask::set_for_termination

Stefan Karlsson stefan.karlsson at oracle.com
Fri May 22 14:19:25 UTC 2015

Hi all,

AbstractGangTask::set_for_termination(uint active_workers) is a virtual
function that sub-classes can override to run setup code before the task
is started. The active_workers parameter tells the task how many workers
are going to execute the task.

Only a few tasks use this infrastructure and most tasks run the setup
code in the constructor or before the task is constructed. There is no
place where we construct a FlexibleGangTask task, change the number of
active workers, and then start the task. The tasks are always started
near the construction site. So, I propose that we get rid of
AbstractGangTask::set_for_termination to shrink the AbstractGangTask API.

I didn't want to change how the CMS worker threads are started, so I
moved AbstractGangTask::set_for_termination to YieldingFlexibleGangTask.

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~stefank/8080879/webrev.00/

StefanK