JEP 271: Unified GC Logging - Second pre-review

Bengt Rutisson bengt.rutisson at oracle.com
Fri Nov 6 16:08:15 UTC 2015

Hi everyone,

Here is an updated pre-review for the work for JEP 271 Unified GC Logging.

I've converted most of the GC logging now. Some of the CMS logging is
still left to convert. In particular I've converted the
PrintAdaptiveSizePolicy loggging. I turned that into logging on the
"ergo" tag in combination with some other tags to give more fine grain
control over the logging.

Here are examples from the latest prototype:
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~brutisso/JEP-271/pre-review.01/compare.html

The webrev for the changes is available here:
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~brutisso/JEP-271/pre-review.01/webrev.01/

i haven't had a chance to address all comments from the last pre-review.
CMS is still not completed, so the comments regarding the concurrent
cycle logging have not been addressed. This is the next thing on my
todo-list.

Some of the thing that have changed since last time:

- Added a timestamp in the "start" line for GC timing
- Removed "start" and "end" words from the GC timing
- Dropped "CPU Time" from the CPU time line
- Converted most of the logging in the GC code base

Thanks,
Bengt