RFR (S/M): 8136678: Implement adaptive sizing algorithm for IHOP

Thomas Schatzl thomas.schatzl at oracle.com
Fri Nov 13 12:16:34 UTC 2015

Hi all,

  I would like to ask again for reviews of this change. Since
particularly at this time code changes are frequent, keeping it up to
date poses a significant burden.

Also, after some more performance testing I got some feedback that it
might be better that the number of completed marking rounds before
actually starting to adaptively size the IHOP can be configured.

On application with large heaps it can take quite a while until the
required number of completed rounds can be reached. People would be fine
with a non-optimal prediction (very conservative) at the start.

I added an option G1AdaptiveIHOPNumInitialSamples which by default
behaves the same as before (requiring three completed markings plus a
single mixed gc) to allow that tuning.

The webrevs were update in place at
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~tschatzl/8136678/webrev.0_to_1/ (diff)
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~tschatzl/8136678/webrev.1/ (full)

since I did not receive any feedback on the code changes themselves.