RFR (M): 8136681: Factor out IHOP calculation from G1CollectorPolicy

Jon Masamitsu jon.masamitsu at oracle.com
Fri Nov 13 15:58:49 UTC 2015

Mikael,

This is partial.  If you send out a second webrev based on Mikael's
review, I'll finish with that.

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~tschatzl/8136681/webrev/src/share/vm/gc/g1/g1CollectedHeap.hpp.frames.html

> 1370 // Returns the number of regions the humongous object of the
> given word size
> 1371 // covers.

"covers" is not quite right since to me it says that the humongous
object completely uses the
region.  I'd use "requires".

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~tschatzl/8136681/webrev/src/share/vm/gc/g1/g1IHOPControl.hpp.html

   49   // Update information about recent time during which allocations happened,
   50   // how many allocations happened and an additional safety buffer.

// Update information about

I DON'T KNOW WHICH OF THESE IS MORE PRECISE.
//   Time during which allocations occurred (sum of mutator execution time + GC pause times)
OR
//   Concurrent marking time (concurrent mark end - concurrent mark start)

//   Allocations in bytes during that time
//   Safety buffer ???

I couldn't figure out what the safety buffer is supposed to be.  It seems to
be the young gen size but don't know why.

   33 // Manages the decision about the threshold when concurrent marking should start.

// IHOP = Initiating heap occupancy in percent of the entire heap

   34 class G1IHOPControl : public CHeapObj<mtGC> {
   35  protected:
   36   double _ihop_percent;
// Occupancy in bytes.  This is always less than or equal to the (maximum or current maximum?) heap occupancy
   37   size_t _target_occupancy;

	// Most recent complete allocation period (time from first young-only GC to
	// end of marking) in seconds.  Any period which is interrupted by a full GC
	// is ignored.
   65    _last_allocation_time_s(0.0),
	// Number of bytes allocated during that period (mutator allocation + promotions)
   66    _last_allocated_bytes(0),
	// Length of most recent marking cycle in seconds
   67    _last_marking_length_s(0.0) { }

	// Occupany in bytes at which a concurrent marking cycle is started. This count
	// includes the waste in regions occupied by humongous objects and waste at
	// the end of any old region that is not the currently being used for promotions
	// and the waste at the end of survivor regions.

   69   size_t get_conc_mark_start_threshold() { return (size_t) (_ihop_percent * _target_occupancy / 100.0); }

This might be better named update_marking_length() but can be done in a later cleanup.

   	// Update marking length (concurrent marking end - concurret marking start)
   77   virtual void update_time_to_mixed(double marking_length_s) {

Have you given much thought to what affect a to-space exhaustion should
have on
IHOP?   I understand that it is not the design center for this but I
think that to-space
exhaustion can confuse the statistics.   Maybe a reset of the statistics
and a dropping
the IHOP to a small value (current heap occupancy or even 0) until you
get 3 successful
marking cycles.  Or think about it later.

Jon