RFR (S/M): 8136678: Implement adaptive sizing algorithm for IHOP

Jon Masamitsu jon.masamitsu at oracle.com
Fri Nov 13 21:03:16 UTC 2015

Thomas,

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~tschatzl/8136678/webrev/src/share/vm/gc/g1/g1IHOPControl.hpp.frames.html

Can you add a comment describing what this is?

91 size_t _prev_unrestrained_young_size;

Why "recalculate" instead of just "calculate"?  "calculate" has the
virtual of
being a little shorter name.

95 // Updates _current_threshold according to internal state.
96 void recalculate();

This says that you want the target_occupancy to be at the maximum value
that will still allow young gen sizes as set with G1ReservePercen? That
seems
a bit aggressive to me since it is the value that will be used until
there is
enough data to create a better estimate.   Maybe arbitrarily add an
extra 20%
to safe_heap_percentage?

1257 if (safe_heap_percentage < 100) {
1258 target_occupancy = G1CollectedHeap::heap()->max_capacity() * (100.0
- safe_heap_percentage) / 100.0;
1259 }

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~tschatzl/8136678/webrev/src/share/vm/gc/g1/g1IHOPControl.cpp.frames.html

Add a flag in place of the "2" just to make experimentation easier?

133 return (_marking_times_s.num() > 2) && (_allocation_rate_s.num() > 2);

Do you still want the comment at the end?

244 size_t const settled_ihop3 = 0; // target_size - (young_size +
alloc_amount2/alloc_time2 * marking_time2);

Rest looks good.

Jon