RFR (M): 8136681: Factor out IHOP calculation from G1CollectorPolicy

Jon Masamitsu jon.masamitsu at oracle.com
Tue Nov 17 19:14:52 UTC 2015

On 11/17/2015 12:14 AM, Thomas Schatzl wrote:
> [...]
>>> measure of the young gen that is not bounded by G1ReservePercent.
>>>
>>> The reason to use the unbounded value is because if the code used the
>>> bounded one, it would cancel out with G1ReservePercent, because the
>>> closer we get to G1ReservePercent, the smaller that bounded value would
>>> get, which would make the current IHOP value rise etc, which would delay
>>> the initiation of the marking.
>>>
>>> That would end up loosing throughput as then the young gen gets smaller
>>> and smaller (and GC frequency increases), it can take a long time until
>>> G1 gets close enough to G1ReservePercent so that the other factors
>>> (allocation rate, marking time) are used.
>>>
>>> Basically initial mark will be delayed until young gen reaches its
>>> minimum size, at which time G1 will continue to use that young gen size
>>> until marking occurs. Which means that typically G1 will eat into
>>> G1ReservePercent, which we also do not want.
>>>
>>> Additionally it would get G1 more in trouble in regards to pause time,
>>> giving it less room during that time.
>> I think I understand the issue of using an unbounded young gen but
>> what precisely is meant by "measure of the young gen"?  By measure
>> do you mean you used the size of young gen from recent young-only
>> collections?
> As in "measurement". Yes, this uses the size of the young gen from a
> recent young-only collection when the decision whether to start marking
> or not occurs.
> Which is supposed to be on the large side compared to the ones following
> during marking.
>
>>> Unfortunately G1 is in two minds about this, i.e. used() for humongous
>>> objects does not contain the "waste" at the end of the las region, but
>>> used() for regular regions does.
>> So occupancy is not useful and you use free regions + free in the current
>> old allocation regions?
> I have been referring to that G1's used() for humongous regions seems to
> return an incorrect value.
>
> That's why when adding the allocation information for humongous regions
> (around line 1018 in g1CollectedHeap.cpp) the change first calculates
> the size in regions and multiplies it by full region sizes, instead of
> using something like used().
>
> [...]
>>> I already thought a little about how this should interact with regards
>>> to the calculation: the idea is that basically the algorithm will notice
>>> that there is a significant amount of additional allocation, and will
>>> lower the IHOP threshold automatically. (Looking through the code I
>>> think I saw some problems here, I will see to fix that)
>> The increased allocation would be the allocation from compacting
>> all the live data into regions during the full GC.  That certainly should
> No, from converting survivor/eden regions into old regions. That will
> result in a huge bump in allocation rate (if the evac failure has been
> serious, i.e. a lot of failed evacuations). Which means that in the

Ah, yes.  Evacuation failure does not necessarily mean a full GC.

> If the evacuation failure has been not so serious, the impact is
> certainly smaller.
>
> The impact of evacuation failures is already much smaller than before,
> and there are a few more things that could be done to make it even
> smaller.
>
> The only drawback is that potentially this decrease in IHOP is too small
> to avoid the next evac failure/full gc. None of our prediction can
> handle long-term cyclic occurrences (like once a day there is a
> significant brief 30s spike in promotion rate), so I do not see that as
> a particular issue.

I've mentioned before that I would consider a policy that started
the next marking cycle immediately.   It's a simple policy (no
confusion about whether the decrease in IHOP was enough) and
provides the best effort to avoid an undesirable situation.   I won't
bug you with that again. :-)

> That's something that the user needs to tune out at this time (CMS would
> not be able to handle this either).

Agree.

Patch looks good.  Reviewed.

Jon