RFR (M): 8136681: Factor out IHOP calculation from G1CollectorPolicy

Mikael Gerdin mikael.gerdin at oracle.com
Wed Nov 18 15:57:41 UTC 2015

On 2015-11-16 12:23, Thomas Schatzl wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, 2015-11-13 at 16:08 +0100, Mikael Gerdin wrote:
>> Hi Thomas,
>>
>> On 2015-11-05 10:42, Thomas Schatzl wrote:
> [...]
>>> There is no behavioral change in this CR.
>>>
>>> CR:
>>> Webrev:
> [...]
>>    545   // Calculate the absolute and desired min bounds.
>>    546
>> Would it make sense to split bounded_young_list_target_length into
>> uint unbounded_young_list_target_length(size_t rs_lengths) const;
>> uint bound_young_list_target_length(uint unbounded) const;
>>
>> update_young_list_max_and_target_length could then become
>>
>> uint unbounded_young = unbounded_young_list_target_length(size_t
>> rs_lengths);
>> _young_list_target_length = bound_young_list_target_length(unbounded_young);
>> update_max_gclocker_expansion();
>> return unbounded_young;
>>
>> this way you could get rid of the output parameter which looks kind of ugly.
>
> Fixed, after some off-list discussion.
>

>>    920   // We abort the marking phase.
>> We skip doing mixed gcs sounds more appropriate here, we've successfully
>> completed marking, right?
>
> Fixed.
>
>>    987         marking_initiating_used_threshold,
>>    988         (double) marking_initiating_used_threshold /
>> _g1->capacity() * 100,
>>    989         source);
>> since G1IHOPControl has an _ihop_percent member, could you add an
>> accessor for it and use it in the ergo logging instead of:
>> (double) marking_initiating_used_threshold / _g1->capacity() * 100,
>
> I changed the member of G1IHOPControl to _initial_ihop_percent, which
> hopefully makes it more clear that with adaptive IHOP,
> marking_initiating_used_threshold and the _initial_ihop_percent are not
> the same any more.
>
> Actually I would like to go away from using IHOP as value throughout the
> code for anything but initialization. A percentage value immediately
> begs the question, relative to what?
>
> With adaptive IHOP this needs to be relative to the current heap
> capacity, not the total capacity as soon as G1 will start to follow the
> current heap capacity.
>
>> 1038
>> 1039   double app_time_ms = 1.0;
>> 1040
>> why not just move the calculation of app_time_ms outside the use_stats
>> scope as well?
>
> Done.
>
>> 1219   double marking_to_mixed_time = -1.0;
>> 1220   if (!collector_state()->last_gc_was_young() &&
>> _initial_mark_to_mixed.has_result()) {
>> 1221     marking_to_mixed_time = _initial_mark_to_mixed.last_marking_time();
>> 1222     assert(marking_to_mixed_time > 0.0,
>> 1223            "Initial mark to mixed time must be larger than zero but
>> is %.3f",
>> 1224            marking_to_mixed_time);
>> 1225   }
>> 1226   // Only update IHOP information on regular GCs.
>> 1227   if (update_stats) {
>> 1228     update_ihop_statistics(marking_to_mixed_time,
>>
>> Since you are only setting marking_to_mixed_time at line 1221 -1 is
>> passed to update_ihop_statistics fairly regularly.
>> Would it make sense to break out update_time_to_mixed and move it inside

Hm, I was thinking more in the lines of

// Only update IHOP information on regular GCs.
if (update_stats) {
   if (!collector_state()->last_gc_was_young() &&
	_initial_mark_to_mixed.has_result()) {
     double marking_to_mixed_time =
_initial_mark_to_mixed.last_marking_time();
     assert(marking_to_mixed_time > 0.0,
            "Initial mark to mixed time must be larger than zero but is
%.3f",
            marking_to_mixed_time);
       _ihop_control->update_marking_length(marking_to_mixed_time);
     }

     update_ihop_statistics(app_time_ms / 1000.0,
                            _last_old_allocated_bytes,
                            last_unrestrained_young_length *
HeapRegion::GrainBytes);
   }
   _last_old_allocated_bytes = 0;

Otherwise a reader might think that marking_to_mixed_time is actually
set and updated more than once per gc cycle when it's in fact "-1" most
of the time and thus ignored in update_ihop_statistics.

/Mikael