RRF: JEP-271: Unified GC Logging

Bengt Rutisson bengt.rutisson at oracle.com
Thu Nov 19 15:29:47 UTC 2015

Hi everyone,

After three pre-reviews it is time for the fist official review request
for JEP-271 Unified GC Logging.

http://openjdk.java.net/jeps/271

Most code changes are in the hotspot code:
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~brutisso/JEP-271/review.00/webrev.00/

Some tests in the JDK repo have been updated:
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~brutisso/JEP-271/review.00/jdk-webrev.00/

As with the pre-reviews I have put togther some examples of what the new
logging looks like:
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~brutisso/JEP-271/review.00/compare.html

The intent is that this should cover the bulk of the logging changes.
There will most definitely be some follow up changes where we fix
details in the log messages etc.

Among many other old logging flags this changeset removes the two flags
PringGC and PrintGCDetails. These two will be added back with a follow
up changeset, but when they are added back they will be marked as
deprecated.

The reason for first removing them and then adding them back is to get
testing without these flags. That way we will know that we clean out all
usages of these flags from our testing.

Thanks,
Bengt