RRF: JEP-271: Unified GC Logging

Bengt Rutisson bengt.rutisson at oracle.com
Tue Nov 24 10:51:39 UTC 2015

Hi Kirk,

On 2015-11-23 14:26, kirk.pepperdine at gmail.com wrote:
> Hi Bengt,
>
> I’ve not seen anything egregious as of yet though I’m no where near done.

Thanks for looking at this change!

> One comment for ostream.cpp.
>
> -// log_name comes from -XX:LogFile=log_name, -Xloggc:log_name or
> +// log_name comes from -XX:LogFile=log_name or
>   // -XX:DumpLoadedClassList=<file_name>
>

> IME, -Xloggc:log_name is the most common form used. Not stuck to it,
> just saying…

Are you saying that it is scary to remove -Xloggc? Yes, I would agree.
We've discussed it a bit here. It would be nice to get rid of it since
it comes with a bunch of other issues such as log rotation etc. One way
to handle the transition would be to map -Xloggc=filename to
-Xlog:gc*:filename. It wouldn't be 100% correct and it wouldn't handle
the log rotations flags. But maybe it would be a smoother transition for
some users.

Regards,
Bengt

> Regards,
> Kirk
>
>> On Nov 23, 2015, at 9:43 AM, Bengt Rutisson
>> <bengt.rutisson at oracle.com <mailto:bengt.rutisson at oracle.com>> wrote:
>>

>> Hi Per,
>>
>> Thanks for looking at this!
>>
>> On 2015-11-23 09:51, Per Liden wrote:
>>> Hi Bengt,

>>> This is not a complete review, just a few things I noticed while
>>> browsing the webrev.

>>> /src/share/vm/gc/g1/g1StringDedupQueue.cpp
>>>
>>> 157   log_trace(gc, stringdedup)(
>>> 158     "   [Queue]\n"
>>> 159     "      [Dropped: " UINTX_FORMAT "]", _queue->_dropped);
>>>
>>> Multi-line loging.

>>> src/share/vm/gc/g1/g1StringDedupTable.cpp
>>>
>>> 573   log_trace(gc, stringdedup)(
>>> 574     "   [Table]\n"
>>> 575     "      [Memory Usage: " G1_STRDEDUP_BYTES_FORMAT_NS "]\n"