RFR: 8143587: G1 crashes with humongous object of size that almost fills an heap region

Jon Masamitsu jon.masamitsu at oracle.com
Wed Nov 25 16:23:11 UTC 2015

On 11/25/2015 1:31 AM, David Lindholm wrote:
> Jon,
>
> Sorry, I don't really understand. The filler objects are needed to fix
> "8138681: Runtime.getFreeMemory() reports wrong value after humongous
> allocation."

David,

If you were going to set the top of the H-region to the end of the
H-object in cases where there was not enough room for a filler
object, I wondered why you do not do that all the time (skip
the filler object).  I see from 8138681 that such a strategy does
not work because the free space is then over estimated.

So answer to my question is "no".

I've not looked at all the details of the fix yet.  Don't wait
for me if you get other reviews.

Jon