RFR: 8138975: G1CollectorPolicy::calculate_young_list_target_length should be const

Thomas Schatzl thomas.schatzl at oracle.com
Mon Oct 19 15:21:10 UTC 2015

Hi Erik,

On Mon, 2015-10-19 at 17:01 +0200, Erik Helin wrote:
> On 2015-10-15, Thomas Schatzl wrote:
> > Hi Erik,

> > [...]
> > >
> > > Yep, I've removed the is_young parameter to
> > > bounded_young_list_target_length. Please see new webrevs:
> > >
> > > Full:
> > > http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~ehelin/8138975/webrev.01/
> > >
> > > Incremental:
> > > http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~ehelin/8138975/webrev.00-01/
> >
> >   the change does not apply to recent tip any more; I tried to fix them
> > to do a preliminary review. Looks good, with one minor comment: it's
> > rs_lengths, not rs_lenghts :)
>
> I fixed the typo, thanks for catching that :)
>
> > In any case I would like to have another look at a properly merged
> > version.
>
> Please see new fully rebased patches at:
>
> - Full:
> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~ehelin/8138975/webrev.02/
>
> - Incremental (only two typos corrected):
> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~ehelin/8138975/webrev.01-02/

  some pre-existing issue:

- G1CollectoryPolicy::init(), line 434, the call to
update_young_list_target_length() should be a call to
update_young_list_target_length(0).

At the start we know that rs_length is zero, there is no need to get a
prediction from an empty sequence.

Feel free to ignore, as that and related issues have already been filed
under JDK-8139594.

I mention this, because adding this would remove the need for the
overload.

Looks good otherwise. I do not need a re-review if you decide to change
this as suggested.