RFR: JDK-8148733: G1: Add log message to print the heap region size

Bengt Rutisson bengt.rutisson at oracle.com
Mon Feb 1 09:50:40 UTC 2016

Hi everyone,

Could I have a couple of reviews for this small change to add a log
message to print the heap region size?

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~brutisso/8148733/webrev.00/

Currently the heap region size is not explicitly visible in the GC log
files. Since G1 calculates the region size at startup and then sticks
with that size, it is enough to log the region size once during
initialization.

The new log message looks like this:

[0.013s][info   ][gc,heap] Heap region size: 1M

The test test/gc/logging/TestDeprecatedPrintFlags.java had to be updated
to handle the padding in the logging of the tags. Before I added this
message there was logging where the tags looked like this "[gc]", but
since the new logging appears early in the log file these log message
now look like "[gc     ]".

Thanks,
Bengt