RFR (M) 8149013: Remove unused and dead code from G1CollectorPolicy

Jon Masamitsu jon.masamitsu at oracle.com
Thu Feb 4 18:41:05 UTC 2016

On 02/04/2016 05:02 AM, Mikael Gerdin wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Here's a cleanup of dead and unused code from the G1 collector policy.
>
> Some unused member variables can be removed:
> _no_of_gc_threads (only getter/setter)
> _parallel_gc_threads (only used locally in constructor)
>

> I'd also suggest to remove functionality related to
> Trace{Young,Old}GenTime from G1. The statistics collected are usually
> too coarse (avg. pause times over a complete run) to be useful and
> they have not been kept in sync with the time tracking done through
> the phase times tracking object.

Mikael,

One of the  things that we don't have at the moment is an easy
way for non-GC engineers to measure GC pauses.  Yes, the gclogapp
and the new aurora reading of the jfr events for pause time is a way
but not as easy a way as having the GC dump the statistics at the
end of the run.   Should we consider fixing and retaining this the
Trace{Young,Old}GenTime to help others help us?  Or is there
something we should implement instead?

Jon