WE'RE HIRING: Beta testers for the new hotspot build system!

Magnus Ihse Bursie magnus.ihse.bursie at oracle.com
Fri Feb 12 11:42:32 UTC 2016

... or, well, more to the truth, we're *not* hiring. At least not in the sense that we'll pay you money. But we do want beta testers anyway! :-) Your reward will be a new build system that will work on the systems and configurations you care about, right out of the box, and a fuzzy warm feeling.

A document that describes how to try out the new build system, and that answers many questions that you might have, is here:

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~ihse/docs/new-hotspot-build.html

The TL;DR:
Clone the project forest.

hg clone http://hg.openjdk.java.net/build-infra/jdk9 build-infra-jdk9
cd build-infra-jdk9 && bash get_source.sh [additional closed url]
The build infra project is constantly on the move. The safest way to get to a working state is by using a tag, e.g. build-infra-beta-01.

bash common/bin/hgforest.sh update -r build-infra-beta-01
Build it. This works just as the with old build.

bash configure && make
If you have questions or want to report bugs or enhancement requests, please direct them to the build-infra project list build-infra-dev at openjdk.java.net. Note that this is different from the Build Group mailing list build-dev at openjdk.java.net.

Before asking questions, please check http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~ihse/docs/new-hotspot-build.html to see if they have been answered there first.

/Magnus