RFR 8080232: Eagerly promote objects in nmethod to reduce scanning in ParNew

Tony Printezis tprintezis at twitter.com
Wed Feb 17 16:58:55 UTC 2016

Carsten,

I think this looks OK. A few suggestions:

codeCache.{hpp,cpp}:

(Unrelated to your change) Since you’re at it, could you add a big warning to the declaration of scavenge_root_nmethods_do() that, if the caller is moving objects, it has to move them promptly when the closure is invoked and not enqueue them for later processing? All the uses of this are correct as far as I can see. For example, PS does push on the taskqueues oop*’s for later processing but in the closure that it passes to scavenge_root_nmethods_do(), it copies (in fact: it promotes) the objects immediately. If the copy is postponed, fix_oop_relocations() will pick up the wrong object(s). It’s a subtle point that I don’t think it’s properly documented. It’d be good to document it somewhere. Or maybe CodeBlobToOopClosure is a good place for this (as that’s the closure that calls fix_oop_relocations()).

Given that scavenge_root_nmethods() now prunes the list, could you add a comment to the declaration of prune_scavenge_root_nmethods() to indicate where it is used (i.e., to prune the list post full compaction I guess?). In fact, is prune_scavenge_root_nmethods() called from outside the CodeCache now? If not, maybe make it private?

The semantics of drop_scavenge_root_nmethod(), the way you changed it, are a bit confused. prev == NULL might mean “we don’t know the prev of nm, look for it” or “nm is the head”. I’d suggest leave drop_scavenge_root_nmethod() as is (semantic-wise), introduce a new (private) method (like: unlink_scavenge_root_nmethod(nm, prev)) which does the unlinking, and call it from drop_scavenge_root_nmethod() and scavenge_root_nmethods_do().

Tony