RFR(XXS): 8145312: [TESTBUG] CMS: unable to create: There is insufficient memory

Jon Masamitsu jon.masamitsu at oracle.com
Wed Feb 17 18:49:07 UTC 2016

On 2/17/2016 10:06 AM, Dmitry Dmitriev wrote:
> Hello Jon,
>
> Thank you for the review&suggestion! Please, see my comment inline.
>
> On 17.02.2016 20:47, Jon Masamitsu wrote:
>> Dmitry,
>>
>> Change looks good.
>>
>> The minimum size of CMSSamplingGrain should be the minimum object
>> size (in bytes) instead of 1.   Would that allow the test to pass?
> I think yes, test will not hit OOM for bigger minimum value. As Joseph
> wrote in the bug comment: "
> Is this a valid argument: -XX:CMSSamplingGrain=1? Default is 16K and
> it succeeds.
> If I use 1K it doesn't fail.
-XX:CMSSamplingGrain=1 is not valid in this context.  The code that uses
it is trying to calculate
points at which the young gen should be partitioned for doing parallel
work.  It only makes
sense to partition at a granularity equal to or larger than the object
size.  Minimum value should be 8 which corresponds to the minimum object
size on 32bit.    It would be OK to use the same on a 64bit system
for simplicity.

> In fact it doesn't fail with the value 2.
>
> eden_chunk_capacity = (young_gen->max_capacity() + CMSSamplingGrain) /
> CMSSamplingGrain;
>     eden_chunk_array = NEW_C_HEAP_ARRAY(HeapWord*,
> eden_chunk_capacity, mtGC);
>
> with 2, there's just enough c heap. "
>
> Probably, we can consider changing of the minimum value for this flag?

Yes, the minimum value should be changed.

Jon