Fwd: Re: RFR: JDK-8072725: Provide more granular levels for GC verification

Kevin Walls kevin.walls at oracle.com
Tue Jan 5 21:08:42 UTC 2016

Hi Poonam,

Great, I think it looks good, and really look forward to having this
ability to fine-tune what we verify, rather than being so heavyweight
about it!

I just noticed: should_verify_subset("heap") and
should_verify_subset("c-heap") are going to clash?  If you specify
c-heap, you'll trigger both verifications as strstr finds "heap" in
there?  Do you want to change heap to java-heap, or maybe use java_heap
and c_heap (if you want to use underscores to be consistent with
symbol_table, string_table), or something else to make them not clash?

(As we discussed over email briefly, another possibility was splitting
the given argument string on commas, doing our string comparisons once
only during argument processing somewhere, and populating a long of flag
bits, so Universe::verify() just checks for presence of bits, rather
than comparing lots of characters.  The speed isn't a particular worry
right now so your very readable string comparisons do the job!)

Thanks
Kevin