Ephemerons

Gil Tene gil at azul.com
Sun Jan 24 17:43:01 UTC 2016

A note on implementation possibilities:

If I read the implementation correctly, a "weakness" of the current implementation approach for making sure value-referents (and their transitively reachable) objects are kept alive if key referents are alive is that it requires multiple passes through the discovered Ephemeron list, with the passes terminating when the list stabilizes. While I think that this is sound (in the sense that it will work), it carries a potentially high cost when large sets of Ephemerons exist in the heap. E.g. if the Ephemerons are linked in a k-v list (where the value referent of one ephemeron is the key of another, in a chain), as in your code example, there is an N^2 scanning thing going on. And e.g. if a large set of ephemeron keys become weakly reachable in a single cycle (e.g. a large cache was discarded) while other ephemeron participate in some linked list relationship, the entire list of [stably] weak-keyed ephemerons has to be traversed in each pass (in case one of them has become live in a previous pass). I'd worry that these computational complexity issues could become prohibitive enough in GC cost that you there would be significant resistance to their adoption.

Note that in comparison (to my understanding), current ref processing work involved in GC handling soft/weak/final/phantom refs remains linear to the number of refs, and does not have an O(N^2) component.

I believe that there is a relatively simple way to bring Ephemeron processing to O(N) by establishing reverse mapping during the scan (the below description assumes STW during the scan):

1. Start ref processing with no reverse mapping table established.

2. During ref processing, establish an EphemeronKeyReverseMapping table (logically a Map<Address, List<Ephemerons>>) which would map individual heap addresses to ephemerons who's key referent points to those addresses.

3. Note that since each heap address can show up in multiple key referents, the map needs to return a (potentially empty) list of Ephemerons who's keys refer to the address.

4. Specifically, starting with an empty list, and for each discovered Ephemeron, add a reverse-mapping entry to the EphemeronKeyReverseMapping, mapping from the key referent address to the Ephemeron.

5. During Ephemeron processing (under the case where the referent is found to be alive and the ephemeron then needs to keep the value referent alive) mark down the value referent path using a special ephemeron_keep_alive OopClosure (or a mode flag that affects the normal keep_alive behavior) which, when reaching a not-yet-marked-live object [in addition to marking it live and traversing it as keep_alive would normally do] would look up the object's address in the EphemeronKeyReverseMapping to get a list of Ephemerons to traverse, and traverse each of the mapped Ephemerons' value referent with the same ephemeron_keep_alive closure.
Note: doing reverse-mapping lookups on each not-yet-marked object in a keep_alive closure will add cost, which is why this ephemeron_keep_alive pass should probably be done after regular keep_alive passes have had their chance to mark objects live. This way only paths that become newly-live via ephemeron processing are subject to the extra reverse-mapping-lookip cost.

While I haven't been poking at this too long to see if it has holes, I think it can produce a reliable result, and is O(N) on the count of Ephemerons.

— Gil.