RFR(8u): JDK-8145442: Add the facility to verify remembered sets for G1

Poonam Bajaj Parhar poonam.bajaj at oracle.com
Thu Jan 28 20:37:34 UTC 2016

Hello Jon,

On 1/28/2016 11:48 AM, Jon Masamitsu wrote:
> Poonam,
>
> Changes look good.

Thanks for the review.

> With VerifyBeforeGC and VerifyAfterGC the gc logs will look
> a little different?  The rem-set verify part of the log will be separate?
> Instead of
>
> 2.701: [Full GC (Allocation Failure)  VerifyBeforeGC:[Verifying
> threads heap Roots HeapRegionSets HeapRegions RemSet syms strs zone
> dict cldg metaspace chunks hand C-heap code cache ]
>
> the rem-set message will be from
>
> 4028       if (VerifyRememberedSets) {
> 4029         if (PrintGCDetails) {
> 4030           gclog_or_tty->print_cr("[Verifying RemSets before GC]");
> 4031         }

Yes, the output with VerifyRememberedSets will be different from the
output with VerifyBeforeGC and VerifyAfterGC flags. Since
VerifyRememberedSets is not dependent on VerifyBeforeGC and
VerifyAfterGC options, it will be used independently when we don't want
to verify everything.

Thanks,
Poonam