JEP 291: Deprecate the Concurrent Mark Sweep (CMS) Garbage Collector

Jon Masamitsu jon.masamitsu at oracle.com
Fri Jul 1 15:12:08 UTC 2016

On 7/1/2016 7:39 AM, Andrew Haley wrote:
> On 01/07/16 15:36, Jon Masamitsu wrote:
>> Do you have a suggestion on how continued support for CMS in OpenJDK
>> would work?  I've been told that if CMS is built in the binaries that Oracle
>> distributes, then customers will expect Oracle to support it. Regardless
>> of what the release notes say.
> How are they to know that it's in there?
If nothing else, it's open source.  :-)
>   All you have to do is
> disable the option in Oracle builds.

It seems like that should be enough, but I honestly don't know.
If there's some squirrely way for a customer to turn it on
(jcmd, start up script, who knows what), we'd be stuck.
I think Oracle is very care about such things.  If asked, "Is there
any possible way that CMS could be turned on?",  the best
I could do would be to say, "I don't think so".  Not good enough.

Jon