JEP 291: Deprecate the Concurrent Mark Sweep (CMS) Garbage Collector

Volker Simonis volker.simonis at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 16:38:55 UTC 2016

Hi everybody,

I'm afraid this discussion is degenerating into a CMS vs. G1 flame war :)

I think instead we should rather focus on the consequences of JEP 291
and how to mitigate them.

1. As Mark correctly noticed, Oracle has every right to drop CMS
support in its commercial/proprietary Java offering. Any complaints
against this decision should be addressed directly to Oracle and not
to any OpenJDK mailing list.

2. Removing the CMS code from a specific OpenJDK release project is a
different story because the OpenJDK project is a community-driven,
open source project (albeit dominated by Oracle :)

3. We should therefore concentrate on finding a way of
separating/isolating the CMS code from the other GC code in good faith
and in a way that:
 - Oracle can easily assemble its commercial/proprietary Java
offerings *WITHOUT* CMS
 - anybody else can easily assemble a Java version from the OpenJDK
sources *WITH* CMS support

4. To achieve this, several proposals have been posted to this and
another, older mail thread [1]:
 a. Disable CMS by a constant command line option. This seems to be
not acceptable to Oracle according to Jon.
 b. Disable CMS at build time (e.g. as it has been done for many years
with the CPP-Interpreter: --with-jvm-interpreter=cpp). This seems to
be the most realistic approach although the details about how to
effectively reorganize the CMS code still have to be figured out.
 c. Refactor both G1 and CMS (and potentially other GCs) to use a
common, still to be defined, GC interface and move the CMS code out
into its own repository from where it can be plugged in into a vanilla
OpenJDK build. This seems highly desirable from a software engineering
perspective (and would also benefit third-party GCs like Shenandoah)
but unfortunately it is also a little unrealistic, giving the current
amount of resources and funding for such a project.

As I already wrote in [1] SAP is supporting CMS and will probably do
so for quite some time, so we are highly interested in keeping the CMS
code *INSIDE* the OpenJDK release projects even after Java 9. So I
would strongly vote for option 4.b above! Others like Twitter, RedHat
and Google have expressed similar intents and interests as far as I've
understood. Speaking for SAP, I can imagine that we will be doing
regular (nightly) builds with CMS enabled and quickly fix new problems
caused by changes in shared code once we're there. We are already
successfully doing this for our AIX/PowerPC porting platforms since
years (and we did support the before mentioned CPP interpreter for
quite some time following the same model).

Realistically (given the current infrastructure and resource
constraints), the initial CMS refactoring should and can only be done
by Oracle. Taking into account that Oracle has initiated this JEP and
will be the only beneficiary of it I think that's just fair. Of course
we (and probably others from the community) are willing to assist.

Finally, this JEP shouldn't be seen solely as a threat. It is also a
big chance for the future development of CMS. Enhancements like
"JDK-8130200: Parallelize the Full GC Phase in CMS" [2] can be
probably implemented and/or integrated a lot easier and faster, once
CMS is separated and not controlled by Oracle any more.

Regards,
Volker

[1] http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/hotspot-gc-dev/2016-June/thread.html#18353