Request for Review (xs) - 8159073: Error handling incomplete when creating GC threads lazily

Thomas Schatzl thomas.schatzl at oracle.com
Tue Jul 19 09:03:03 UTC 2016

Hi Jon,

On Fri, 2016-07-15 at 07:28 -0700, Jon Masamitsu wrote:

> On 7/14/2016 1:47 AM, Thomas Schatzl wrote:
> >
> > Hi,

> > > I've seen cases with G1 where using the VM thread compared to
> > > using
> > > 1 GC worker thread is about .5ms faster.   For a long time I
> > > would
> > > have blown off .5ms but I'm less inclined to do that now.  It is
> > > after all 500us :-).  We hear talk about sub ms pauses being
> > > important to someone somewhere.
> > Not trying to convince you, and it is a good argument, but:

[...]
> > There are also significant gains to be made by just reducing the
> > number
> > of times we start up threads (e.g. reference processing, G1's
> > "other"
> > tasks). Not that you couldn't address any of these issues in
> > addition,
> > but they decrease the impact :)
> Are you saying that if I delete the option to use the VM thread, then
> I don't need that code that checks the special case of 1 thread
> (more deleted code) so it simplifies my change?

Yes - but this has been more of a side remark, so I do not think it
would be a good change for this CR.

> > Further, if we consider doing that, I would prefer to have that
> > behavior centralized in the run_task() methods. Not have to
> > consider every time we create and run a gang task whether it might
> > be useful to run it single-threaded (and add the boiler plate code
> > to do it everywhere).
> I can see that point although I don't think the centralized point
> should be run_task().

Sure, this is open for discussion. Just a suggestion.

[...]
> > > I can believe that patch workers but I think it is going in the
> > > wrong direction.
> > >
> > > calc_active_workers() picks the number of GC threads based on
> > > heap size. I think this is appropriate for many parallel GC
> > > tasks.  But there are exceptions and  run_task(AbstractGangTask*
> > > task, uint num_workers) is for those exceptions.  For example,
> > > Reference processing  does not scale with the size of the heap so
> > > we should use some other policy to choose the number of parallel
> > > workers for Reference processing and use run_task(task,
> > > num_workers) to say I want to override the number of workers
> > > active in the workgroup.
> > Yes, but the existing code does not support that. It strictly
> > bounds the actual number of "workers" (and actually, in terms of
> > the framework this is more a number of tasks!) by the number of
> > active threads available at the moment! :)
> Do you mean this code that is bounding the num_workers by the
> number of created threads?
>
> 278   uint active_workers = MIN2(_created_workers, num_workers);
> 279   _dispatcher->coordinator_execute_on_workers(task,
> active_workers);

Yes. Sorry for creating confusion.

> > E.g. if active_workers = 3 (for whatever reason), but somebody
> > calls run_task(task, 10), the method silently only performs three
> > "tasks".
> The limiting to active_workers is the kind of thing I see callers of
> run_task(task, num_worker) doing.  From
> "share/vm/gc/g1/g1CardLiveData.cpp"
> (line 427)
>
> 427   uint const num_workers = (uint)MIN2(num_chunks,
> (size_t)workers->active_workers());
> 428
> 429   G1ClearCardLiveDataTask cl(live_cards_bm(), num_chunks);
> 430
> 431   log_debug(gc, ergo)("Running %s using %u workers for "
> SIZE_FORMAT
> " work units.", cl.n    ame(), num_workers, num_chunks);
> 432   workers->run_task(&cl, num_workers);

Yes, the caller limits the number of threads. Which means that the
caller (hopefully) properly prepares the AbstractGangTask to work with
that number of threads :)

The problem is the run_task(, uint) method potentially further
restricting the number of "workers". For that one the caller might not
have prepared the AbstractGangTask for.

> > [...]
> > Overall, and as a future improvement, I think it might be better to
> > move the management of "global" active_workers variable out from
> > WorkGang. And maybe rename the parameters more appropriately. ;)
>
> In my mind WorkGang is a place to store the number of active workers
> (and now created workers).  WorkGang knows the maximum number of
> workers that it can use so active_workers seemed to fit.  Are you
> suggesting removing the run_task(task) method and only have
> run_task(task, num_workers) so that
> the number of active workers is always feed to WorkGang?  I would not
> be opposed to that.

Yes, that is the idea - as some future change.