RFR(xs): 8161552: Test issue: VM init failed: GC triggered before VM initialization completed. Try increasing NewSize, current value 768K.

Thomas Schatzl thomas.schatzl at oracle.com
Thu Jul 21 11:17:27 UTC 2016

Hi,

On Thu, 2016-07-21 at 13:34 +0300, Dmitry Fazunenko wrote:
> Thomas,
>
> On 21.07.2016 12:30, Thomas Schatzl wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Wed, 2016-07-20 at 20:01 +0300, Dmitry Fazunenko wrote:
> > >
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I'm looking for a couple of reviewers for a simple fix of two
> > > tests.
> > > The tests check some basic assertions when VM is started with max
> > > heap
> > > size set to some small values.
> > > The tests work almost everywhere, but there are cases when  with
> > > -Xmx2M
> > > GC triggered before VM initialization completed.
> > > 2M is valid but extremely small max heap size. Cases of usages
> > > such
> > > small heap are rather theoretical than practical.
> > >
> > > To fix the problem I made the tests weaker, the cases setting max
> > > heap
> > > to 2M are removed.
> > >
> > > http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~dfazunen/8161552/webrev.00/
> > > https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8161552
> > >
> > > Testing: locally + RBT
> >    looks good, but I think this decision should be more prominently
> > stated in the test.
> >
> > Particularly the comments in lines 45-47 need to be updated, and
> > lines
> > 49 to 53 also refer to now apparently outdated behavior.
> Thanks for catching this, I missed that comments.
>
> Updated version:
> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~dfazunen/8161552/webrev.01/
> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~dfazunen/8161552/webrev.00vs01/

 - line 37 contradicts with the new line 54 now. It's probably best to
only remove the "(2m)" in line 37.

 - I would also prefer if the comment were as neutral as possible, i.e.
 please remove the "rather strange" adjective in line 48.

 - not sure what a "positive check" is (compared to what?), but just
saying "Therefore we start the VM with 4M heap." would be fine.