RFR: JDK-8114823 - G1 doesn't honor request to disable class unloading

Jesper Wilhelmsson jesper.wilhelmsson at oracle.com
Thu Mar 31 15:29:18 UTC 2016

Hi Mikael,

Den 31/3/16 kl. 17:04, skrev Mikael Gerdin:
> Hi Jesper,
>
> On 2016-03-31 16:50, Jesper Wilhelmsson wrote:
>> Hi Mikael,
>>
>> Thanks for looking at this!
>>
>> I agree that it would look better (and probably be more semantically
>> correct) to disable CMSClassUnloadingEnabled as well. It will look weird
>> to users who are used to look at this flag if it says true but class
>> unloading still doesn't happen. I also updated the description of
>> CMSClassUnloadingEnabled to say that it is equivalent to
>> ClassUnloadingWithConcurrentMark.
>>
>> New webrev:
>> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~jwilhelm/8114823/webrev.01/
>
> One final comment:
> now it feels a bit strange that if -ClassUnloading is set then CMSClassUnloading
> will not have its default value and we will end up inside the second if
> statement always.
>
> Perhaps it would be better to reorder the ifs so that we first check for
> CMSClassUnloadingEnabled and adjust ClassUnloadingWithConcurrentMark properly,
> then if class unloading is completely disabled then just make them all false.
>
> Does that make sense to you?

I thought about this as well, but the reason for having it in the order it is
now is if someone would set -XX:-ClassUnloading -XX:+CMSClassUnloadingEnabled
which is a valid combination. In this case, if we change the order, we would
disable CMSClassUnloadingEnabled. Of course we could add checks to see if it is
set on the command line before disabling it, but that would in my opinion add a
lot of code just to avoid setting ClassUnloadingWithConcurrentMark to false twice.

If you have a strong opinion about this I can try to come up with something
better, but I would prefer to keep it the way it is.
/Jesper