RFR: 8165955: TestFullGCCount test failed with CMS and -XX:+ExplicitGCInvokesConcurrent

Michail Chernov michail.chernov at oracle.com
Thu Nov 10 11:25:27 UTC 2016

Hi Dima,

Thanks for your answer. ExplicitGCInvokesConcurrent=true is used in CMS
and G1 ([1][2]). CMS ends with concurrent phases, G1 ends with STW
phases [3][4]. Performance counters are updated in
TraceMemoryManagerStats::~TraceMemoryManagerStats() which is invoked in
G1CollectedHeap::do_full_collection() and CMSCollector::sweep(). So I
don't see any reason why we should don't execute this test with G1 and
ExplicitGCInvokesConcurrent=true. I'd like to keep requires as in this
change. Furthermore I have a change for WhiteBox to retreive CMS state
(is in idling or not)[5], which can allow this test run with CMS and
ExplicitGCInvokesConcurrent, but it targeted to 10.

[1] hotspot/src/share/vm/gc/shared/genCollectedHeap.cpp:309  bool
GenCollectedHeap::should_do_concurrent_full_gc(GCCause::Cause cause)
[2] hotspot/src/share/vm/gc/g1/g1CollectedHeap.cpp:2172 bool
G1CollectedHeap::is_user_requested_concurrent_full_gc(GCCause::Cause cause)
[3] http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/tutorials/tutorials-1876574.html
[4] https://blogs.oracle.com/jonthecollector/entry/hey_joe_phases_of_cms