Request for review: JEP: GC Interface: Better isolation of GC implementations

Roman Kennke rkennke at redhat.com
Mon Nov 21 11:26:55 UTC 2016

Hi Kirk,

Thanks for yor feedback.

> I have no official say in this but it the object is quite clear
> spelled out and certainly is desirable. That said the spec is written
> at a high enough level that it’s not clear about the complexity and
> hence dangers/risks in (failing to ) identifying/isolating all the
> touch points is spelled out.

I added:
"We may fail to identify and/or isolate all the touch points between GC
and rest of the JVM."

under Risks & Assumptions.

> Also, should we comment on testing here? Will this work require a new
> set of regression tests? Or, is that beyond the scope of this
> document?

I am not sure. It may be possible and useful to test the GC interface
by implementing a 'mock' GC and verifying its methods are called in all
the right situations. Infact, a clean GC interface could actually help
with testing all sorts of other JVM internals too. Problem is I don't
know how complex such an effort would be, I have never done such sort
of testing with C++. Any input from you folks on this topic would be
appreciated.

Roman