PING: RFC for new JEP: Reduce metaspace waste by dynamically merging and splitting metaspace chunks.

Thomas Stüfe thomas.stuefe at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 13:21:04 UTC 2016

Hi Erik,

On Thu, Oct 13, 2016 at 2:15 PM, Erik Helin <erik.helin at oracle.com> wrote:

> Hi Thomas,
>
> thanks for submitting the JEP and proposing this feature!
>
> On 2016-10-10, Thomas Stüfe wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > May I have please some feedback for this enhancement proposal?
> >
> > https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8166690
> >

> > In one very short sentence it proposes a better allocation scheme for
> > Metaspace Chunks in order to reduce fragmentation and metaspace waste.
> >
> > I also added a short presentation which describes the problem and how we
> > solved it in our VM port.
> >
> > https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/secure/attachment/63894/
> Metaspace%20Coalescation%20in%20the%20SAP%20JVM.pdf
>
> Do we really need the flag -XX:+CoalesceMetaspace? Having two differnent
> ways to handle the chunk free lists in Metaspace is unfortunate, it
> might introduce hard to detect bugs and will also require much more
> testing (runnings lots of tests with the flag both on and off).

You are right. If the new allocator works well, there is no reason to keep
the old allocator around.

We wanted for a temporary time to be able to switch between both old and
new allocator. Just to have a fallback if problems occur. But if it works,
it makes sense to only have one allocator, and the "CoalesceMetaspace" flag
can be removed, and also the code can be made a lot simpler because we do
not need both code paths.

> Do you think your proposed solution has low enough overhead (in terms
> of CPU and memory) to be on "by default"?

We decided to switch it on by default in our VM.

Memory overhead can be almost exactly calculated. Bitmasks take 2 bits per
specialized-chunk-sized-area. That means, for specialized-chunk-size = 1k
(128 meta words): metaspace size / 8192. So, for 1G of metaspace we pay
132KB overhead for the bitmasks, or roughly 0.1%.

There is some CPU overhead, but in my tests I could not measure anything
above noise level.

> Thanks,
> Erik

Btw, I understand that it is difficult to estimate this proposal without a
prototype to play around. As I already mentioned, the patch right now only
exists in our code base and not yet in the OpenJDK. If you guys are
seriously interested in this JEP, I will invest the time to port the patch
to the OpenJDK, so that you can check it out for yourself.

Kind Regards, Thomas