RFR(M): 8154736: enhancement of cmpxchg and copy_to_survivor for ppc64

Doerr, Martin martin.doerr at sap.com
Fri Oct 21 12:57:42 UTC 2016

Hi all,

thank you very much for reviewing. I fully agree with the latest replies.

I think Hiroshi's latest webrev (http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~horii/8154736/webrev.05/) is pretty close to it.
There are only still acquire barriers which could be replaced by a comment like "We rely on memory_order_consume here.".
I'd prefer this, too, even though acquire barriers in failure cases would probably not really hurt.
Cmpxchg Release,Relaxed + Load Consume seems to be the pattern which matches the needs exactly.

The webrev also contains a logging change in psPromotionManager.inline.hpp which I'm not sure if it's still wanted.

Not sure if aarch64 should be addressed in a separate change.

Besides that, it looks good to me.

Best regards,
Martin