GC interface update

Per Liden per.liden at oracle.com
Tue Apr 25 12:05:48 UTC 2017

On 2017-04-24 15:46, Roman Kennke wrote:
> Am 24.04.2017 um 08:37 schrieb Per Liden:

>>> Right, I totally agree with this.
>>>
>>> BTW, another reason for making a new GC interface class instead of
>>> further bloating CollectedHeap as the central interface was that there
>>> is way too much implementation stuff in CollectedHeap. Ideally, I'd like
>>> to have a true interface with no or only trivial implementations for the
>>> declared methods, and most importantly nothing that's only ever needed
>>> by the GC itself (and never called by the runtime). But as I said, I'm
>>> not against a serious refactoring and tightening-up of CollectedHeap
>>> instead.
>>
>> Yes, I'd like to keep CollectedHeap as the main interface, but I
>> completely agree that CollectedHeap currently contains too much
>> implementation stuff that we probably want to move out.
>
> Ok, I will revert that part of the change to use CollectedHeap as main
> interface then. It's no big deal, so far I only had one additional
> method for servicability support in the GC interface class anyway.

Ok, sounds good.

And regarding BarrierSet. As you know, Erik Österlund is working on
overhauling BarrierSet and how barriers are used across the VM. He'll be
sending out his current proposal later today.

> Would you also prefer keep 'management' of the heap in Universe too?
> I.e. Universe::create_heap() and Universe::heap() etc? Or do you see a
> benefit in moving it out like I did with gc_factory.cpp? The idea being
> that there's only one smallish place that knows about all the existing
> GC impls?

I'd like to keep Universe::heap() and create_heap(), but I'd like to
move away from our current if-else if-else.. and instead have a more
declarative way of saying which GC's are available. create_heap() would
then just walk the list of available GC and ask if it's enabled and if
so create an instance. I think we'd want to do something similar to (or
even combine this with) what Erik is doing in his BarrierSet patch.

In general, to make it easier to review/test/integrate all these changes
it would be good if we can have incremental patches, each addressing
some specific/contained area.

cheers,
Per