RFR (S): 8185141: Generalize scavengeable nmethod root handling

Erik Österlund erik.osterlund at oracle.com
Tue Jul 25 12:34:04 UTC 2017

Hi Roman,

I see your point. From my perspective, the default for any GC is to use
the shared CodeCache scavenge root list, and anything else
(G1/Shenandoah) is an exception and can override to do something else
instead.

Having said that, I agree we could easily move that default
implementation to CodeCache from CollectedHeap and call it explicitly
where it is used so that we do not accidentally mess up when we build a
new GC.

However, then I think we should also move verify_nmethod_roots() into
those GCs then, as it is closely related to which list it is on.

New full webrev:
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~eosterlund/8185141/webrev.01/

New incremental webrev:
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~eosterlund/8185141/webrev.00_01/