RFR: Parallelize safepoint cleanup

Andrew Haley aph at redhat.com
Thu Jun 15 10:49:59 UTC 2017

On 29/05/17 15:16, Roman Kennke wrote:
> I agree that having a single pool would be good. The current WorkGang
> doesn't do it though, because we can't borrow threads while the GC is
> doing work, at least not in a way that is GC agnostic (see my reply to
> Robbin).

It would be nice, though, not to have to share worker threads between
GC and other jobs if we didn't need todo so.  If we're on a
large-scale multicore machine, we don't want to be trashing warm
caches in idle cores unless it's forced on us by the lack of hardware
resources.  We're not always short of cores, and the massively-
scalable multi-core world is nearly upon us.

--
Andrew Haley
Java Platform Lead Engineer