RFR: 8190711: Assert in G1MMUTracker due to concurrent modification

Stefan Johansson stefan.johansson at oracle.com
Wed Nov 8 10:47:47 UTC 2017

Hi all,

Please review this fix for:

Webrev:
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~sjohanss/8190711/00/

STW by the VM thread. Up until this change we have had modifications
done to the internal data structure from both sides. To synchronize we
have used the SuspendibleThreadSet but this doesn't stop two different
concurrent threads from modifying the data at the same time. We need to
prevent this.

The reason to update the data structure (remove entires) in the
concurrent phase is a possible performance improvement due to having
fewer entries to iterate when calling when_sec(). Since there can never
be more than 64 entries, the gain, if any, is very small. We still
remove expired entries when adding new ones, done by add_pause() during
STW. To avoid having more than one thread doing modification of the list
this change removes the call to remove_expired_entries() in when_sec().
Having the SuspendibleThreadSet will ensure the the concurrent threads
won't access the data while the VM thread is updating it.

Testing:
* Tier 1-2

Thanks,
Stefan