RFR (XS): 8188877: Improper synchronization in offer_termination

White, Derek Derek.White at cavium.com
Tue Nov 21 21:53:02 UTC 2017

Hi Kim, Thomas,

So Thomas, I think I agree with my original self too 😊.

Kim's concern:
> Consider the case where there is no further work to do, and all
> threads are heading toward offer_termination.  Until the last thread
> makes the offer, the others will be in the spin1...spinN/yield/sleep
> cycle, as expected.  But because there appear to be no memory barriers
> in the spin part of that cycle, a thread in the spin part might not
> see the final offer until it completes the full spin cycle and then
> performs the yield (assuming yield does have sufficient memory
> barriers to acquire the published value).

My understanding is that the "acquire" semantics are entirely about memory ordering, within a CPU. In particular it prevents "following loads" from executing before the "load acquire".

There is nothing in the "load acquire" that causes it to synchronize with the memory system more or less quickly than a naked load. Either kind of load will eventually notice that its local cached value has been invalidated and will fetch the updated value.

In the context of a spin-loop, there could be some large number of loads (from the same variable), comparisons, and branches in flight. Without a load-acquire, it's not clear which load will see the final value, but it doesn't matter. As long as one iteration of the loop sees that value, the loop will terminate.

BTW, I have seen several explanations of what the Intel PAUSE instruction does, in its earliest forms it seemed to be about avoiding having to clean up either: mis-predicted instructions in flight, or carefully ordering the memory loads. I might be misremembering and I can't find my sources for this though.

 - Derek