RFR (S): 8191888: Refactor ClassLoaderData::remove_handle to use the Access API

Erik Österlund erik.osterlund at oracle.com
Wed Nov 29 08:41:08 UTC 2017

Hi David,

On 2017-11-28 22:28, David Holmes wrote:
> Hi Erik,
>
> On 28/11/2017 10:19 PM, Erik Österlund wrote:
>> Hi David,
>>
>> That is a good question.
>> There is a description (written by a GC person, but still) for each
>> decorator in the access.hpp file where the decorators are declared. I
>> try to go in to some details there when you should and should not use
>> a decorator. If we find that the text might have been biased from a
>> GC perspective, we can update the comments.
>
> The comments serve as a reference, but I think we may lack a
> "tutorial". :) As I think someone commented earlier re the Access API,
> how do I know that, for example, IN_CONCURRENT_ROOT applies when I
> have no idea what may or may not be scanned during safepoint ??

Would it be helpful if I wrote a little tutorial in a comment section in
access.hpp? Hopefully, as the code gets more populated with calls to
this thing, it starts to look more familiar as well.

As for whether to use IN_CONCURRENT_ROOT or not, the basic idea is that
if you do not know whether your root may be processed outside of
safepoints, then use IN_CONCURRENT_ROOT conservatively. False positives
are fine and only come with a small performance loss for some collectors
(e.g. cause unnecessary G1 pre-write SATB barrier). False negatives on
the other hand can be fatal (e.g. not performing necessary G1 pre-write
SATB barrier). It is a little bit like using MO_SEQ_CST vs MO_ACQUIRE.
Using MO_SEQ_CST when you are not sure is strictly safer but comes with
a performance penalty. If you for example build thread-local values in
value types, you might not want to take that performance penalty when
you know your values are conceptually part of your stack and are
processed in safepoints.

As we move forward, we might change whether assuming roots may be
processed concurrently, outside of safepoints, should be default or not.
AFAIK, it is currently the rare exception rather than the rule. But
perhaps things will change over time.

Thanks,
/Erik