RFR: 8184286: print_tracing_info() does not use Unified Logging for output

Erik Helin erik.helin at oracle.com
Tue Sep 5 13:49:55 UTC 2017

Hi Stefan,

thanks for cleaning this up!

On 09/01/2017 02:57 PM, Stefan Johansson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Please review this RFE to convert two more flags to use UL:
>
> Webrev:
> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~sjohanss/8184286/hotspot.00/

For GenCollectedHeap::print_tracing_info(), I would prefer it to be
renamed to GenCollectedHeap::log_tracing_info(), since the method now
logs instead of prints :)

I would have written GenCollectedHeap::print_tracing_info() like:

   LogTarget(Debug, gc, heap, exit) lt;

   if (lt.is_enabled()) {
     LogStream ls(lt);

     _young_gen->print_summary_info(&ls);

     _old_gen->print_summary_info(&ls);

   }

and then remove void Generation::print_summary_info(), only keep
Generation::print_summary_info_on(outputStream* st) (but update the log
message like you did).

But, if you prefer the current approach, that is fine by me as well.

Thanks,
Erik