Does openjdk8u need pre-barrier for jweak?

Aleksey Shipilev shade at redhat.com
Tue Aug 14 09:04:35 UTC 2018

On 08/14/2018 02:30 AM, Liu, Xin wrote:
> Another question is which regression test can trigger the issue? Why did you only identify the
> problem on jdk9+?

This sounds familiar. In Shenandoah JDK 8 backport, we "just" disable jweak processing wholesale
because of bugs around jweak handling. It seems risky to backport the fixes to 8u. Shenandoah's
workaround also includes the test that fails:
  http://hg.openjdk.java.net/shenandoah/jdk8u/hotspot/rev/ba692039a40a

Maybe the way to avoid G1 crashes would be to workaround the bug the same way for G1?

-Aleksey