RFR (S): 8195115: G1 Old Gen MemoryPool CollectionUsage.used values don't reflect mixed GC results

Erik Helin erik.helin at oracle.com
Mon Feb 26 16:46:28 UTC 2018

Hi Paul,

a couple of comments on the patch:

- memoryService.hpp:
   + 150                   bool countCollection,
   + 151                   bool allMemoryPoolsAffected = true);

   There is no need to use a default value for the parameter
   allMemoryPoolsAffected here. Skipping the default value also allows
   you to put allMemoryPoolsAffected to TraceMemoryManager::initialize
   in the same relative position as for the constructor parameter (this
   will make the code more uniform and easier to follow).

- memoryManager.cpp

   Instead of adding a default parameter, maybe add a new method?
   Something like GCMemoryManager::add_not_always_affected_pool()
   (I couldn't come up with a shorter name at the moment).

- TestMixedOldGenCollectionUsage.java

   The test is too strict about how and when collections should
   occur. Tests written this way often become very brittle, they might
   e.g. fail to finish a concurrent mark on time on a very slow, single
   core, machine. It is better to either force collections by using the
   WhiteBox API or make the test more lenient.

Thanks,
Erik