RFR (S): 8195115: G1 Old Gen MemoryPool CollectionUsage.used values don't reflect mixed GC results

Hohensee, Paul hohensee at amazon.com
Wed Jan 31 01:30:59 UTC 2018

It’s true that my patch doesn’t completely solve the larger problem, but it fixes the most immediately important part of it, particularly for JDK8 where current expected behavior is entrenched. If we’re going to fix the larger problem, imo we should file another bug/rfe to do it. I’d be happy to fix that one too, once we have a spec.

What do you think of my suggestions? To summarize:

- Keep the existing memory pools and add humongous and archive pools.
- Make the archive pool part of the old gen, and generalize it to all collectors.
- Split humongous regions off from the old gen pool into their own pool. The old gen and humongous pools are disjoint region sets.
- Keep the existing “G1 Young Generation” and “G1 Old Generation” collectors and their associated memory pools (net of this patch). We add the humongous pool to them.
- Add “G1 Full” as an alias of the existing “G1 Old Generation” collector.
- Add the “G1 Young”, “G1 Mixed” and “G1 Concurrent Cycle” collectors.
- Set the G1 old gen memory pool max size to –Xmx, the archive space max size to whatever it is, and the rest of the G1 memory pool max sizes to -1 == undefined, as now.

The resulting memory pools:

“G1 Eden Space”
“G1 Survivor Space”
“G1 Old Gen”
“G1 Humongous Space”
“Archive Space”

The resulting collectors and their memory pools:

“G1 Young Generation” (the existing young/mixed collector), “G1 Old Generation”/”G1 Full”, “G1 Mixed”
- “G1 Eden Space”
- “G1 Survivor Space”
- “G1 Old Gen”
- “G1 Humongous Space”
“G1 Young”
- “G1 Eden Space”
- “G1 Survivor Space”
- “G1 Humongous Space”
“G1 Concurrent Cycle”
- “G1 Old Gen”
- “G1 Humongous Space”

I’m not religious about the names, but I like my suggestions. :)

The significant addition to my previous email, and an incompatible change, is splitting humongous regions off from the old gen pool. This means that apps that specifically monitor old gen occupancy will no longer see humongous regions. Monitoring apps that just add up info about all a collector’s pools won’t see a difference. I may be corrected (by Kirk, perhaps), but imo it’s not as bad a compatibility issue as one might think, because the type of app that uses a lot of humongous regions isn’t all that common. E.g., apps that cache data in the heap in the form of large compressed arrays, and apps with large hashmap bucket list arrays. The heaps such apps use are very often large enough to use 32mb regions, hence need really big objects to actually allocate humongous regions.

Thanks,

Paul

On 1/30/18, 5:51 AM, "Erik Helin" <erik.helin at oracle.com> wrote:

    On 01/30/2018 03:07 AM, Hohensee, Paul wrote:
    > That’s one reviewer who’s ok with a short term patch. Anyone else? And,
    > any reviewers for said short term patch? :)

    Well, the patch is not really complete as it is. The problem is the
    definitions of the MemoryPoolMXBeans and GarbageCollectorMXBeans, which,
    as I tried to hint at in my first email, is a mess for G1. The names and
    implementations of these MemoryPoolMXBeans and GarbageCollectionMXBeans
    for G1 are very old, G1 has changed a lot since those were implemented
    (hence my suggestion for finally fixing this).

    The issue with your patch is that the MemoryPoolMXBean named "G1 Old
    Gen" consists of both old and humongous regions (it will also include
    archive regions). Old regions can be collected by mixed, concurrent and
    full collections. Humongous regions can be collected by young, mixed or
    full collections and the concurrent cycle. Archive regions will never be
    collected. Your patch will update the pool in the case of a mixed
    collection collecting old regions or humongous regions, but misses the
    following cases:
    - a young collection collecting humongous regions
    - a concurrent cycle collecting humongous regions
    - a concurrent cycle collecting old regions

    Unfortunately I could not come up with a good way to solve the above
    without re-designing the pools. I'm not sure about accepting your patch
    as is, since it might cause even more confusion for users compared to
    the current (already confusing) situation.

    One idea we have discussed is to implement the re-design but also add a
    flag, -XX:+UseG1LegacyPoolsAndBeans (false by default), to allow for a
    smoother transition. Would that solution work for you?

    Thanks,
    Erik